Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Trenton did his First Sign!

So we've been occasionally watching the first DVD of Signing Times (thank you Aunt Jenn!) and casually signing to Trenton. No big deal. No big push. The common ones we did have been "more" and "milk". Well Trenton was trying out a new sippy cup with some apple juice in it and having a great time! He was drenched in juice but loving it. So after a bit he kept throwing it down onto the floor. Jared would pick it up and give it back to him. Well after a few times of that Jared clued in "Oh, it's gone. He wants more." So we asked him if he wanted more and signed "more". He totally signed "milk" back to us! It was so obvious! It was the coolest thing I think I have ever seen!! We just sat there and watched him do the sign. So cool! Anyways, so we made him couple of ounces of milk (formula) and put it into his sippy cup and gave it back to him. He immediately tipped it up and started downing it... but then put it down with such a confused look on his face! We just laughed. I don't think he was asking for milk, he wanted more juice. He just knew that after the "more" sign came the "milk" sign. At least that's the way it's been all his life. :-) So we looked online and found the sign for juice and will be teaching the difference between the two. And of course we'll be watching alot more of Signing Times!!

4 comments:

Karena said...

That is exciting!
I wish that I had tried some of that when my girls were smaller. Maybe with this baby!

Wright Family said...

OH that's so fun! they are so smart even when they are so little. I am always amazed at how much Olivia acutally understands.

Anonymous said...

That is SO exciting. Bethany's first sign was milk at 9 months of age. They are so smart and pick up on these things so quickly! That's just awesome!

Jackie B. said...

awesome! that is so cool. I have friends that swear by signing for kids.